Tuesday 28 May 2013

Life as a PhD Student

My Dad regularly asks when I'm going to get a 'real' job. Apparently doing a PhD doesn't count.

I decided I should make my case by describing my standard week.

Monday morning arrives. First things first : are my cells alive meaning I can actually do experiments this week....

Hell yeah they are!

 photo tumblr_mhjl44W9rk1s4kiz9o1_500_zpsdff81fcd.gif


But after three days of waiting for an experiment to come to completion the results show nothing.

 photo tumblr_luhf2rPbBK1qd8oyqo1_500_zps435fcb46.gif


Spend the next day trying to figure out what went wrong, while looking like you know something about science.

 photo tumblr_mkqcniNAkQ1sn8w6no1_400_zps33be9082.gif


This fails. So you start asking around for any thoughts or suggestions as to why the experiment went inexplicably wrong.

 photo tumblr_mbpof02L9d1r1s7izo1_500_zps93b8bd04.gif


Then, suddenly, a moment of clarity.

   photo tumblr_mj03qiuSv61rvaggno1_500_zps84c9faa9.gif


When something finally works.

 photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-9389-1363899159-4_zps108422e5.gif


The end of the week arrives and it's going to be a loooooong Friday doing dissection. By the end of it I'm just like

 photo tumblr_lzi58wBV8O1qhnr1lo1_500_zps62972aa9.gif


I reckon going through that week on week for 3 years qualifies as work, even if not a 'real' job.

It's tough, but all the office cake definitely helps!




P.S. I hope you enjoyed my first ever gif post. Inspiration from Nadine at Back East Blonde












3 comments:

  1. YES! I love GIFs. Love them. And I almost used that last Emma Stone one in my post today! So funny. Nice job. I hope your cells were alive today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh hello smarty pants doing a PhD, my mum doesn't even seem to think that my degree is anything serious..THANKS MUM.

    This made me giggle lots! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my post! It's my first gif post so glad you liked it :)

      haha maybe one day our parents will appreciate our efforts!

      I follow your blog on bloglovin' so was really happy that you've checked out mine.

      Delete